Volume 2



Click on the projector to view all images as a Slideshow


22 November 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "The report for today is somewhat brief, with the pictures hopefully saying it all. In a nutshell, the pressurisation test was done with minimal leakage detected and rectification was done, another 5 minute job done and dusted. The crew arrived at the aeroplane late in the afternoon to run through check lists and procedures and we left them at the controls with the power unit grinding away to provide them with light. They are coming up to speed rapidly. We have all been invited to drinks with Ian Dorling and are looking forward to the evening with one of natures gentlemen."
23 November 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "Ridgeback in the left seat, Feebs in the right seat, Muz in the observer's seat, H at the panel, Plukka to complete the walk around after the disconnect then to board up through the Lower 41. Green Hornet in position at Left 1. Engineers Wilkinson and Finney on board as observers. Ben Hunter, Bob Horn and I were ready to trail the aeroplane in a Lasham's truck to scrutinise the exterior, looking for anything appearing where it wasn't supposed to. We pushed XBA back onto the taxiway at 1204, ready for engine start, the order being 3, 4, 2, 1. Away went #3, then #4. All routine. Denis Martin on the headset and Robert Phillips swapped sides to observe the left wing in preparation for #2's start. As we watched from the ramp we waited for their positions to change to monitor #1 but they remained in place, in front of #2. A slight delay, perhaps? Then, the tell tale signs. A plume of atomised fuel appeared from #2's tailpipe, to clear after about 15 seconds. A wet start was aborted and the engine motored for 30 seconds to clear the fuel in the tailpipe. The start lever was lifted again to bring in the ignitors and in nearly every case, a light off occurs. Damn, there's no heat haze but instead, another misty exhaust appears and we are the exception to the rule. #2 wet started three times and the mission was aborted. How embarrassment. The crew shut down and the tug brought our pride and joy back onto the ramp. We failed to taxi. The crowds who had gathered outside Lasham's and the Coffee Shop plane spotters who had been monitoring 127.725 shrugged their collective shoulders and slowly dissipated. A longish session of troubleshooting lay ahead for Peter and the engineering team."
24 November 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "On arrival at SEN, we waited for an answer to Lasham's search for a Pressurising & Dump Valve, the component diagnosed as the problem behind the failure to start #2. They found one in the country and an urgent order was made to send it to ATC Lasham's. No problem, delivery will be around 1300. Bob Horn and Ben Hunter were assigned the task of replacing the valve and commenced the removal. It's past 1300 but no valve. 1430 and no valve. By 1730 and still no valve, we were told that the precious bit had been dispatched to ATC Lasham's alright, but to the other branch in Hampshire. First time we have had this during the 5 months since Peter has been on station. So, with the crew discovering how the entertainment system works, Plucka polishing cowls, Green Hornet scrubbing sinks and polishing pots, Roy painting red rings around dripsticks, Norm Mac finding and repairing leaking oxygen lines, we were steadily engaged in making the old girl even tidier. By tomorrow morning, the valve should have arrived, so with a modicum of luck and a big effort by Bob and Ben, we may be starting all four around lunch time."
25 November 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "We changed the P&D Valve, the component all the experts pointed to as the reason for our dilemma. So much for the experts. We changed the Fuel Control Unit, the next most likely to be the offender. So much for that one. We ran the dragon so many times for the spins and start attempts that now the best engine on the aeroplane is unanimously voted to be the APU's. The hardest working unit on the aeroplane is the #2 starter motor. The only upside to all this is that we are dripped on by Jet A1, not Skydrol. Oh, and rain too, as the dynamic SEN W/X sends some squally winds and showers as we pack up for the night. We may be a bit physically dampened but don't feel frustrated, disappointed or disheartened. We have a job to do here and we'll get it done, this being only a prolonged minor nuisance. There is a reason for the failure and we will soon find it. On a more people focused note, we will bid a fond farewell to our youngest volunteer who goes home tomorrow, Ben Hunter. What an effort Ben has put in, one of two currently employed-by-Qantas engineers who have taken annual leave to give time to the Project. Robert Phillips is the other. More about him later. Ben leaves on tomorrow's QF2 and with him will go a fine brain, cool demeanour and inspirational work ethic. We'll farewell him at his favourite restaurant tonight. See ya soon, Ben and thank you so very much for being such a fine young man."
26 November 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "The failures of last night behind us, the plan today is to swap the engine fuel pump with a brand newy we were carrying as flight spares. Bob Horn and I, already reeking of kero from yesterday's FCU change, are the elected ones. We change the pump in Australian and Commonwealth record time, well inside the time allowed to build the new Wembley Stadium, and we prepared the engine for a run. New ignitors add to the odds of a start. The result? The aforementioned starter motor some say is a misnomer, since it hasn't started anything for so long, once again swishes into life and the fan starts to rotate. The rpm is building and eventually the correct revs are achieved and the start lever goes to Start and once again - fuel vapour and no light off. On a positive note, the stainless steel manufacturer's data plate was attached to the aeroplane's primary structure today, with Denis Martin, Paul Wilkinson, Bob Horn and finally, Peter Elliott in turn riveting one corner each. We pack it in and head home, after yet another move to another bay, for that long. hot shower and dinner to farewell our Flight Control Guru, Roy Finney. As we've mentioned before, the flight control integrity is largely due to Roy's expertise in this vital system. Roy has not let anything distract him in his pursuit for perfection and if this aeroplane needs any trim inputs to fly S&L, Roy will want to know the snagging pilot's name, who'll then receive a visit from Roy to please explain himself. Roy, Paul Wilkinson, and I are all 1961 apprentices and to work with them both again after 45 years has been a particularly rare privilege. Roy we were surprised to hear, has other interests in life, the Presidency of a rifle club being the other draw on his time, and he departs tomorrow to resume that alter ego. We gave Roy a send off tonight and will miss his whirlwind way of working, where mini-tornadoes form shortly after he has sprinted by. One of nature's real gentlemen, we will feel your absence Roy, and are sorry you were not able to see your baby fly before you left. In Sydney, my old mate, in Sydney."
27 November 2006

Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "We have compiled a log of all the steps we have taken to determine the reasons for #2 not starting. There were 18 by the time we had finished at 1730. We have examined every external component connected with fuel, air and ignition. For the record, we have performed:

  Aural ignitor checks.
  Visual ignitor checks using an ignitor test box
  Interchange of plugs with known start ability
  Replacement of ignitor plugs with 7R4 types

Increased ignitor immersion depth


External substitution of a known ignitor box

  Removal and cleaning of Pressurising and Dump Valve Filter
  Replacement of Pressurising and Dump Valve
  Replacement of Micronic De-icing Filter
  Replacement of Fuel Pump
  Replacement of Fuel Control Unit
  Inputting a false burner pressure

Comparison of #1 and #2 burner pressures during spin

  Check of 16th stage bleed leakage to turbocompressor
  Borescope of 16th stage ports through ignitor bosses.
  Check of Fuel Shutoff Valve and ignition sequencing
  Borescope of 16th stage area during wet spin
  Check of FCU drive from gearbox



The number of heads brainstorming this defect has been huge and in the final analysis, the decision has been made to pull the engine. All agree that because of what was discovered during step 15, with fuel wetting the fuel manifold which is upstream of the burner cans, a manifold fracture is indicated. Had a hangar been available for 24 hours, our friends at Turbine Motor Works could have come to us, split the engine on-wing, replaced the manifold all with a 24 hour turn time. Sadly, in this heavy period of intense maintenance at Lasham's, no hangar is available. Next best thing is that we have negotiated the use of Lasham's Engine Shop into which our engine can go and TMW will send a team down to do the job here at SEN. Transport time and costs are eliminated and our down time is cut to a minimum. How many times have we said that the support for our Project is beyond imagination? The cost for all this? Parts only. Labour will be gratis. We shake our heads in humility and the magic continues. Tomorrow #2 will be on a stand and ready for strip. We shall overcome."

28 November 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "Paul Wilkinson, one of our avionic engineers departed this morning for home, with the aeroplane now so much the better in its electrical state for Paul's unstinting effort over the five and a half weeks this third time around Paul has given up to assist in the recovery of XBA. We wished Paul bon voyage at dinner at the hotel last night. We know Denis will miss him very much. Out to the airport again at 0740, bootstrap engine change specialists now, we had #2 on the Lasham's Engine Shop floor by 1300. Two Turbine Motor Works engine specialists, Mark Devine and Farai Tandi were waiting for us with almost all the combustion chamber parts to rebuild ours should they find it necessary. They soon had the 239 bolts out that connect each end of the case and slid back the silver section of the engine to reveal the cans and manifold. No trauma was found but a squirt up each half of the removed manifold with compressed air resulted in a huge difference in what was felt coming out of the spray nozzles, ranging from nil to healthy. We compared this to the new manifold, which produced equal-feeling jets of air from every nozzle. Significant. Mark and Farai estimated a 2359 finish, so after clogging up their nozzles with the finest Golden Arch gourmet fuel, we left them to it. We all were impressed with their gracious nature and skill with their tools. These guys have contributed in a major way to the Project, through the generosity of their bosses Tom Vaughan and Dave Billington who deserve the thanks of all of us who desperately want this aeroplane to come home. To offset this great news, we had a setback today with an incident at the hotel in which a robbery and arson attempt was made on the room of one of our Team at around 1100 when we were all at work. He has come through it with the upbeat spirit for which he is famous, with the hotel proprietor promising to make good all the losses our great mate has momentarily suffered. To respect his privacy, his identity remains undisclosed. The hotel has one fewer room which it can sell but we have one more experience that has enriched us and deepened the Team spirit. The post-incident trauma counselling session, in the form of a great Thai meal tonight with all those most concerned helped end the day on a high note. We shall overcome."
29 November 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "Arrived at the Engine Shop at 0800 to see a note from the TMW guys taped to the side of our #2 engine. Something to the tune of Start You Bas....

At around 1530, it did. To the combined cheers of around 20 Lasham's engineers including Ian Dorling, the QFM team and, in the distance, all whose hopes for the aeroplane's good health had been in limbo for a week, Peter lifted the start lever to end the run of 16 wet starts. A cleaner start I have never seen, with instant light-off and stable idle the reward we had all been hoping for, despite our confidence in the trouble-shoot.

In other news, literally, Green Hornet was able to talk a newsagent out of his Southend Echo Hotel Blaze banner and together with a copy of the day's newspaper, presented them to our victim. To the credit of the reporter, the story was quite accurate and factual. The flight crew polished cowls, engine and turbocompressor inlets, Plucka assisting with the engine installation.

We formally acknowledge the fantastic contribution made by Tom Vaughan, Dave Billington, Mark Devine and Farai Tandi in giving us the perfect fix and in record time. To Turbine Motor Works, we dips our lid.

With a lot of help, we have overcome"
30 November 2006


Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "I have great delight in handing today's report to Robert Phillips and Bob Horn: The day we were all looking forward to - taxi tests; but first the #2 engine micronic fuel filter to be replaced, P & D filter to be removed, checked and replaced and hush kit and cowls to be fitted. Aircraft ready for crew at 1200 with pushback at 1220. Aircraft towed to runway for engine start. All team members were thoroughly briefed by Roger Walter who was skipper for the taxi test and we proceeded to our allotted tasks. All aspects of aircraft operations carried out with periodic inspections by engineers in follow up vehicle. Power runs and minor power and idle adjustments were made to # 2 Engine. This was followed by a brief return to our tarmac spot for crew rotation both ops and ground. 1st taxi test lasted 3 hours, 2nd taxi tests were carried out at dusk, with logo and taxi lights blazing - showing XBA in the best light. Engine accelerations and decelerations functional tests performed. After the taxi tests were completed there were congratulations all round. During after run checks, a "tinkling" noise was heard from the #2 fan area which necessitated investigation. The N1 accessory case and N1 tacho gear were removed with Bob Horn finding the offending sheet metal clip in the drive shaft cavity. After rectification the engine was restored to normal and engineers rejoined an anxious tech crew at the hotel, where celebratory drinks were enjoyed by all. Due to forecast bad weather, tomorrow has been declared a lay day. The spotters had turned out in force to view/photograph the days activities."
01 December 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "Layday declared due to weather. The troops welcomed a respite from wrestling the weather, the aeroplane and each other."
02 December 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "At 0800 the engineering Team hit the hardstand, refreshed after a layday, to check three P&D filters, pre-flight the aeroplane and fuel her in preparation for her first test flight. The weather had been threatening and there was some doubt in the early morning, with rain falling and low cloud but we had an aim and thought positively.

The crew arrived at 1030, resplendent in full uniform and wearing, not carrying, uniform caps - an example to their peers, and this was sleepy Southend, not Seattle. They continued the standard that has been applied to XBA from day dot.

Pre-flight complete, the photo op was taken and the last few moments before departure were recorded, with all the QFM volunteers in frame for the first time.

Doors closed and push back commenced as the usual loyal Lasham's supporters gathered, seeming to have grown in number by a factor of two since the taxi test.

Once again, Ridgeback was left seat, Feebs right, H at the panel, Muz in the observer's and Plukka roving. In the cabin, Peter Elliott and Denis Martin were tech observers and Ken Cannane completed the complement.

The time had come.

Push back completed, the engine starts all routine, under the watchful eyes of our great supporter, Tom Vaughan who had driven from Bury, Cambridgeshire, to see us away. We were more than chuffed to have him visit us. Once again, he made the offer of further assistance should we have needed it, in between telling us of his own plans for the future. They sound exciting.

So, the push back crew retreated to give hand signals on the right and XBA was ready to taxi to the runway end while about 20 over-enthusiastic photographers, QFM Team members, were chased back from the flight strip by the ATC patrol saying they wouldn't let XBA depart until we'd cleared the area.

Eight other aircraft were put into the hold while XBA lined up.

Lights on, take-off clearance was received.

The black smoke generators spooled up and the nose pitched up as the brakes were released.

She was on her way.

A myriad cameras were focusing on the growing dart as gradually the noise levels started to match the smoke levels and before we could take it all in, through viewfinders, the wheels were off the ground and VH-XBA was once again a flying machine.

All the effort of so many people had come to fruition. The joy overflowed and I will remember forever the sight and sound once again of the aeroplane I had cycled to Mascot to see arrive in 1959. The aeroplane on which I gained my experience as an apprentice. So much of all the Team's origins lay in this one 707.

Out of sight now, the smoke trail faded, we watched as she turned to the north and disappeared.

Back to the hardstand, empty of our 707 for the first time in 6 years, elated, relieved, excited, we headed for the Southend Terminal Coffee Shop for a doorstop sandwich and for the first time, didn't need to hurry back.

The test flight time was going to be around 3 hours and we took the opportunity to put back so many of the stands we had been using over the last few weeks, and tidied up the bay.

The time passed very quickly and a phone call from ATC told us that XBA was 30 miles out.

Once again, a rush for the grass saw us searching the sky for our baby.

The lights on this aero a giveaway and when the full set of fixed and retractable landing lights are on, there's no mistaking the airframe behind them.

We knew a missed approach was planned and the execution of this was the highlight of the day.

The noise, the sight, the grace as she went around and into the red sky at the end of a perfect day was poetic.

One more right circuit and the touchdown was featherlight, all reversers doing their job.

XBA was back at Southend.

Right now, the entire Team is celebrating with QFM's blessing, with the atmosphere unlike any felt here at the Erlsmere before.

We have had a life changing experience today, and achieved the unachievable."
03 December 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "A successful test flight is one thing, fixing the snags generated by 2:23 flight time on an airframe that had had an extended holiday is another.

Only six of us here to do the work of a dozen men means things take longer, exacerbated by the ever-decreasing hours of daylight and colder weather. We have to be careful on wet slippery stands and one of us is sporting a really well scraped shin with a mis-step taken yesterday. Early warning signs, perhaps?

The flight crew lent a hand today with screw removal on the elevator balance bay access panels, in the troubleshooting of an elevator authority snag following the test flight. This is one of the most tedious jobs you can do on any aeroplane, removing the hundreds and hundreds of screws that hold these 10 structural panels in place. OK if all the screws are sound and have good slots for the #2 Phillips bit, but in the case of XBA, not so lucky. Work will continue on this campaign tomorrow.

The other defects found on TF1 are scheduled to be attacked tomorrow.

One obvious problem evident on taxi in yesterday were the two little surfboard fins that had appeared in the dump chute area. Delaminated skin in the dump chute fairing doors each side meant removal and presentation to Lashams for re-skinning, work well progressed at close of business today. We also have to chase a nose gear hydraulic leak, a task to start tomorrow with an upline leak check. This means selecting the gear lever UP with hydraulic power on the aircraft. Despite gear pins in place and the nose gear double locked with two separate pins, it's still a procedure that goes against the thinking engineer's principles, and is always completed with a profound sense of relief.

Green Hornet, displaying her Good Housekeeping Diploma in Tidiness and Cleanliness went over the entire cabin today, vacuuming, polishing, scrubbing, disinfecting, polishing, sweeping, deodorising, waxing, polishing and did I mention polishing? The place is almost too good to occupy and woe betide the first person to leave a finger mark on her diamond-sparkling cabin windows. We may have to wear white overalls before we can sit down in the crew rest, let alone venture into the main areas. Jokes aside, the difference this has made to the ambiance is truly wondrous to see, and the passengers will be sure that they will be in the neatest aeroplane cabin they will ever again likely to be.

Two Qantas 747-400 pilots dropped in today on their LHR slips. We said hello to Dick Hodder, a QFM Committee Member, in the finance area, and Sandy Howard, well-known Super Connie pilot. More hard slog tomorrow."
04 December 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "Those 300-odd screws that hold on the balance bay access panels on the right elevator did what they were supposed to do and held on - with a few dozen not wanting to let go without their heads being drilled off. When eventually they did release we found nothing untoward, no birds nests, nothing loose, nothing jammed. So, with a clean up and a light lube, the break-away force at the trailing edge was within the limits and normal.

In another fix, the nose gear hydraulic leak was detected on the upline check. With a nose jack in place as belt and two braces, the weep was clearly evident when the gear lever was placed UP and with about a third of a turn on a B nut, the loss of fluid should now be cured. Again, Bob Horn had another win under his belt.

The goodness continued when Denis Martin went looking in the Lasham's loft, the repository for 707 bits from a time past. We had a Radio Altimeter problem and a Transmitter/Receiver was the suspect. No surprise, there was one on the shelf, serviceable and ready to go, and go it did, problem fixed.

The two dump chute fairing doors were presented to us by Jonathon Spicer, freshly skinned, chromated inside and Boeing Gray outside, and with their installation, another area about which there will be no concern.

We are beginning to feel the aeroplane is submitting, albeit slowly, to our ministrations, and had we more arms and legs, it would have been ready for flight again tomorrow. The installation of the balance panels will be a 3-4 hour job tomorrow if all the framies get stuck into it. Together with the avionic work still outstanding, the radar indicator still out for work, for example, there will be too much for 6 people to handle as well as pre-flighting and fuelling XBA for another test flight. So, no flying tomorrow."
05 December 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "The task for the day? Replace the 700-odd screws in the elevator balance panels and button them up again, for the last time, we hope. Denis Martin chased a radio snag that developed overnight and installed the radar indicator. We had it all cleaned up by lunch time and celebrated with Tesco Caesar Salad in the plush surrounds of the Stateroom onboard the 707. A few of us had an eyelid inner surface inspection for a few moments and felt relaxed with the state of the aeroplane, once again, a great feeling, I tell you. The two Flight Engineers (yes folks, there are Flight Engineers on this aeroplane, something the publicity machine seems not have noticed) fuelled the aero and put on around 23 000 litres of gas, on Muz's credit card to the tune of GBP5500, which according to H works out at 46.52 pence/l, plus 17.5% VAT. The pilots once again worked a new route home with the weather in the eastern US driving us further south, just like all migrating birds, to warmer climes. Montreal and Seattle now give way to Orlando and Long Beach. Weather tomorrow looks suitable for flying, and Test Flight 2 is scheduled to depart at 0830, with a return at 1200-ish. For this next operation we are down to 5 engineers with the loss of our marvellous mate and colleague Bob Horn, who returns to SYD tomorrow morning on the 32 at 1115. This means he will be sharing breakfast with us at 0600 and we will all depart together, he for home and we for another day at SEN. We will be short one absolutely inspiring man, whose work rate is second to none. He has taught me much about the aeroplane and as he said at the farewell dinner at the Esplanade, we have learnt all about this aeroplane short of figuring out the potable water system. It will be a different scene here without him. He did at least have the pleasure of seeing XBA fly, which naturally, was the highlight of his time here. We saw Muz after Peter and I returned from Air Livery's graphics department where we collected the sponsors and supporters decals which will adorn the fuselage at the Door Left 1 position. Muz commented that it was good to see the aeroplane with no stands underneath it and with all the engine blanks in place. A feeling of completion is creeping over us. Let's hope the reality reflects this. At 1230 tomorrow, will know."
06 December 2006
Robert Dr Bob Phillips reported from Southend: "The second Test Flight for XBA was scheduled for 0830 this morning. All preparations proceeded as normal with all the crew again in full uniform and the Green Hornet (Karen Glass) fully equipped with 5 cameras, scarf and cold weather jacket. Ken Cannane, Norm MacKay and Robert Phillips were honoured and privileged to be the engineering observers for the Test Flight. Items on the agenda for today's flight were testing of the elevator control system after rectification, electric flap operation, outboard speed brake operation, and emergency gear extension with performance data and fuel flows to be ascertained and finally cabin altitude warning functional check . With everyone on board push back was at 0900, taxi commenced at 0915, take-off 0925. What a ripper! This little baby is a sky rocket. Today's operation was between Norwich, Cambridge and Peterborough with ATC direction mainly from RAF Wattisham. Crew reported an improvement in the longitudinal control, which meant the elevator balance panel work over the last two days had made a difference. The fuel dump system was also checked and some of the precious stuff was sacrificed for the occasion. The two FEOs, H and Plucka, exercised the cabin temp control through its full range and in the warmth of the cabin, some people had a short zizz. Provisions thoughtfully provided by Karen enabled the observers to experience tea and bikkies in the stateroom. At the completion of the test flight, RAF Wattisham requested we carry out an ILS check, an obligation fulfilled accurately and with the appropriate minimas observed. The time was now 1145. Following this last detail, we tracked to SEN for another missed approach at 1207, went around for a landing at 1219. Total flying time was 2.9 hours. Meanwhile back at the hut, Karen went on a Tesco and Aldi expedition to purchase the dry goods for the flight. Post flight de-briefing was carried out and the defects revealed just enough work to fill a day tomorrow. Out of this was the momentous decision that departure date will be Friday, 8 December at 0830. Can you believe it, we are going home!"
07 December 2006
Norman King, QFM Flight Operations Administrator, reported from Southend: "The Last Epistle From SEN. Here endeth a chapter, but also beginneth a journey. If you have ever packed for a long road trip, and you thought the boot was too small, let me assure you even the two boots in the 707 are only just big enough for what we have to take home. The tooling, flight spares, oils, fluids, baggage, et al will occupy most of the space. Packing it took most of the day and Plucka and H put in a huge effort and loaded the aeroplane with their close eye on the C of G, hoicking about 1.2 tons of gear into the two holds. In the process, we had two tornadoes go through the airport, one of them blowing stands and equipment around and even our several hundred kilo front steps took off and headed for #2 at an increasing rate of knots as I watched helplessly from Door Left 1. Miraculously, Peter raced in from the nose and tackled the fast charging steel monster, slowing it just enough to prevent it from causing any damage despite a kiss against the nose cowl lip, protected by the yellow engine blank. The weather seemed to be making a point. Sleet added to the statement. The farewells were said today, with Ian Dorling hosting a personal farewell to us all in the Boardroom during which we presented him with the two flags which had flown above our hut every day since the project commenced, framed and inscribed. We paid our respects to the dozens of friends we have made and took their good wishes with us. In all Projects, the operational aspects all pretty much follow the same path. Identify the task, allocate the manpower, buy the parts, repair the parts, fit the parts, test. What has made these thousands of individual jobs flow has been the indescribable kindred spirit we have with all the Lashams guys. They, under Ian Dorling's avuncular leadership style, reflect his view of life. Treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself. The Golden Rule has made this Project work in a way that I had never experienced before. ATC Lasham Ltd - Thank you from your greatest admirers, the QFM Preservation Project Engineers and Flight Crew. The next report will be from the first port from which I can dispatch a post. Tenerife, perhaps. Our good mates, Robert Phillips and Norm MacKay will see us off tomorrow and close up the station. We will miss their positive, upbeat company and look forward to our reunion in SYD on Saturday, 16 December 2006."


The QFM 707 Project
Daily Diary
30JAN06 to 21NOV06
22NOV06 to 07DEC06
08DEC06 to 27JUL07